This week’s Wardrobe Wonderings is one that I’m sure a lot of you are pondering as we approach summer…
Festival dressing can be tricky. Just ask my dear friend Vix, who told me a wonderful tale involving a playsuit, a festival field and some public nudity.
Yes, my fellow style-obsessed sisters – I know festivals seem like the perfect showcase for your favourite outfits. When no one blinks an eye at fully grown men in gimp suits, you can get away with the most outrageous things. But think it through before you slip into that gold lamé catsuit and stick on those feathered eyelashes. Will you still look so circus-chic after 8 hours of festival life? You will get grass and/or mud stains on your bum. You will be hit by a paper cup full of cider (if you’re lucky). And you will get covered in other people’s sweat. Not a good look.
But before you rush off to Black’s to stock up on waterproof trousers, galoshes and a full body parka, read my fashionable festival tips…
- Separates! Layers! My favourite words! And oh-so practical for festivals. Easy to get in and out of (Portaloos and tents don’t leave room for wriggling), you can shed a few if you’re too hot and add a few if you’re too cold.
- Wear boots, not wellies. Wellies and heat make for hot, sweaty, blistered feet. A sturdy pair of boots will make stomping across dust, mud and grass easy.
- Take an across the body bag, or bum bag if you’re brave enough. You want your arms free (for holding cups of cider, waving frantically to Muse, hugging random strangers) and you need to keep your belongings close. Wear your across the body bag swung round to the front to keep sneaky stealers away.
- Keep jewellery to a minimum. A festival is not the place to debut your diamond engagement ring, intricately beaded necklace or Swarovski bracelet. It will get a) lost, b) stolen or c) broken. You can’t see it very well, but I’ve pinned a cute heart-shaped brooch to my shirt to add a little quirk and that’s it.
- Cover your head. If you’re lucky enough to get sunshine at a festival, a burnt parting/red nose/peeling forehead is never a good look. And if it’s raining (which it probably will be… this is a festival, after all), a hat or headscarf will keep frizz under wraps.
So there we have it, festival fashionistas! Now you’ve read my advice, I need to see you rocking it. Send me a photo of you working your best festival look and you’ll feature in next week’s Wardrobe Wonderings – the results post. Don’t forget to include a link to your blog if you have one!
Are you going to a festival this year? Do you have a top tip for festival style? Do tell all.