Usually, ‘chunky’ is a word I don’t want to associate with my upper body. Chunky is not flattering. Chunky is not chic. So why, then, am I so enamoured with the chunky knit jumper? Maybe it’s the weather, or my tendency to go into hibernation for the first two months of the year. Whatever it is, I find myself casting aside my form-fitting dresses and cute cardigans in favour of an abundance of wool.
As the name suggests, chunky knit jumpers are tricky to wear because they can make you look a little… well, chunky. All that extra bulk can pad out your shoulders, giving you a distinct Dwayne Jonhson vibe. And no one wants that. Fortunately, after weeks of trial and error and more than my fair share of fashion faux pas, I’ve devised a strategy for successfully styling the chunky knit…
H&M jumper and necklace, Zara jeans, bag and flats c/o Sarenza, Topshop ring
- Balance out an oversized top with skinny jeans – roll them up to just above the ankles for extra leg-lengthening loveliness
- Layer underneath with a long sleeve tee rather than wearing a coat, which will add more bulk
- Wear delicate flats or heels, not big boots or trainers
- Add detail to a plain jumper with a statement necklace
- Keep a sense of proportion by pairing your oversized jumper with a small bag