Following on from last week’s Wardrobe Wonderings, this week we have a similarly thrifty theme. Here’s the question:
“I’m going to a wedding in a few weeks and want to buy a new dress, but I’m on a budget. Can you recommend something that’s cheap but also that I can keep wearing through the summer?”
This is something I’ve been pondering recently. I’ve got two weddings coming up (neither one my own, fact fans!) and because I so rarely get the chance to wear posh dresses, I don’t see the point spending a whole heap of cash on one.
Thrifted Laura Lees for Topshop dress, H&M shawl, Accessorize clutch, Dune shoes, Eclectic Eccentricity bracelet, homemade corsage
This dress was £1.50. Seriously – £1.50! And it’s 100% silk. My magpie eye zoned in on it hanging in the back of a van and I knew it’d be perfect for a multitude of summer events. But it’s far too pretty to save for such special occasions when they come around so infrequently, so here are my tricks…
- A slim heel is dressier than a chunky one
- A lightweight shawl looks chic over bare arms
- Add a pretty corsage for a 50s feel
- A little clutch will house all your essentials
- Dainty jewels make a subtle statement
- Leather gladiator sandals are cute and comfy
- A plaited belt softens a dramatic print
- Add a vest to avoid inappropriate cleavage!
- A cardigan is the perfect office cover-up
- A big, slouchy bag means you can lug around all your worldly possessions
Simple, stylish and money-saving, too. Any tips of your own to add? Do you have a special occasion coming up? Will you wear your outfit for every day stuff too? Let me know!
I also need your pictures for Wardrobe Wonderings – the results. This week I need TWO clear, full length (or near enough) photos – one of you ready for your special occasion, and one of you wearing your outfit in a more casual way. Email me your photos along with the occasion you’ll be wearing your outfit to and a link to your blog and you’ll feature on next week’s post.